It's been a rough couple of weeks...
I have been in a creative funk for a couple of weeks. This has happened alot along the way, and typically I am able to take a short break and dive right back in. That hasn't been the case this time. I've tried everything that usually works.
- Completely unplugging
- and every combination of these you can imagine
Nothing has helped and the harder I try to force myself to work, to push through to just create something, anything, the worse I feel the more rejection comes my way and the more insurmountable this valley feels.
- Thinking that doing something will help move the needle every time.
- Sometimes the best thing you can do is quite literally nothing. Which is the hardest thing to do. If the usual tricks aren't working, you may need something new, or you may just need a vacation or a nap or to just be still.
- 5 minutes of daily meditation helps me give my brain a rest to reset. It's not a fix, it's a tool.
- Sharing my struggle. For me that's public, but for you, that might be with a family member, friend or supportive community member or medical professional.
- Trying something new. Often I return to things I know, but when I embrace the unknown and try something new it can re-ignite the creative spark I need.
This week on Talks With SaraNoSocks
My guest was Leah Milton, who by day is an account manager and by night is an adventure life coach and community builder. Hear how Leah has embraced a previous failed business and all the challenges that come with building a community. She has gone from 9-5, to world traveler, to business owner, community builder and back.
Her advice: "I have been able to listen to my inner voice, but that's not to say that it hasn't been a struggle too. There are moments when I ask, am I making the right decision? What do I want to do? Where do we want to go? Even just thinking about where to move. Are we going to be able to make friends? Are we going to like where we're living and picking just the right place? It's definitely something that I struggle with. So yes, I do look inside iIntrospectively, but doing something about it (what you find) takes a lot (of work)."
Full episode drops Friday, May 14th at 12:00 am PST.
Let's connect on the socials or hit reply and say Hi 👋