I haven't been giving myself a fair chance...
After three weeks of spinning my wheels, looking in and resting, I'm finally on the other side and have a lot to share!
I never really took myself seriously as a designer. I mean sure, I got a mentor, started taking classes, but when I wasn't in class or wrapped a project, it all came to a screeching halt.
It finally hit me. I wasn't taking myself seriously as a designer.
- Relying on others to tell you who you are.
- I had decided that not being able to consistenly get clients meant I wasn't a designer. Others don't decide who you are.
- I wasn't putting myself first when it came to design
- I needed to take myself seriously as a designer before others will.
- Start sharing what you're doing, in whatever format works for you. What that doesn't mean is "go spend 8 hours a day on social media".
- Find a system that works for you. For me, that's a consistent routine of reduced screen time, mediation journaling and a new self imposed 100 day Design challenge. I've had a lot of trial and error when it comes to processes and systems but I finally found one that works.
- Keep writing things down, trust me your brain isn't as great as you think it is at remembering everything.
This week on Talks With SaraNoSocks
This week I sat down with Alina Serebryany, a fellow podcast host of Lane Change and helper of others changing careers. A background in design and co-founder of a previous startup called Echo Echo. She is a community builder and playbook shipper, Alina is passionate about supporting creators. This was a transparent discussion about all things creator economy.
Her insights on failure: "All of the themes are there, it just didn't work out in the way that I had envisioned it would work out and I guess that's okay too. Maybe this is all a failure that I didn't recognize this from the beginning, or maybe this is just I had to go through on this journey and understand OK, gotta have faith in myself to solo found things."
Full episode drops Friday, May 28st at 12:00 am PST.
Let's connect on the socials or hit reply and say Hi 👋